Sunday, August 9, 2015

Daily Dinner (21): Weekend Indulgence - Paalak ki Poorie


Once in a while, I give in to indulgence- in the name of children, award to self for good behavior, or just because….

Weekends are especially tempting. I find it harder to stick to a diet and exercise regimen when I am at home all day. Goodies beckon, and everyday lunch salads are the furthest from my mind. It is a good thing that the kids love poories - the fried Indian bread. To break the guilt, I do keep a little green (as in salad) on the side. Plus, I try to sneak in veggies in the poorie itself for the kids.

Every mom I know of has her own way of making this universal kids’ favorite. But here’s how I make my Paalak ki Poorie for an indulgent weekend meal.



Paalak ki Poorie



For the dough:

Atta/ Whole wheat flour 1.5 cups
Fresh Spinach washed and drained 3/4 cup
Salt 1/2 tsp
Ajwain seeds 1/2Tbsp
Oil 1 Tbsp + more to deep fry
Water, as needed to knead the dough


  1. I use a food processor to make the dough, although you can do it by hand as well. The first step is to coarsely chop the spinach using the steel chopping blade in the processor. You can do it any way you want.
  2. Then, change the blade to dough hook/blade. Add in the flour, salt, ajwain, and 1Tbsp oil into chopped spinach. Start the processor.
  3. Once the flour starts mixing, slowly add water through the chute, till the dough just comes together. Poorie dough is stiff, and not sticky.
  4. Take it out into a plate, dab a little oil in your palms and make a ball of the dough. Cover and let rest for 15-20 min.
  5. When ready, pick of golf-ball sized balls of dough, and roll it with a rolling pin into 4-5 inch circles.
  6. You can roll and keep them aside till ready to fry, or fry as you roll - depends on your expertise in the art of rolling bread :-)
  7. Heat oil to high heat and carefully deep fry Poories for 2 min, or until golden brown. Do turn them over once for even browning. 
  8. Enjoy hot off the stove!!!
My two cents: In the plate above, you see aloo-tamatar ki sabzi, fried papads, Paalak ki Poorie, and of course- my feel-good salad :-)

I incorporate raw spinach into the bread, thinking that it does get cooked eventually. I know some people first blanch all greens before kneading them in. There is no rich or wrong way here. Just remember that salt will draw out water from spinach, so you need very little extra to knead. The stiffer your dough, the more crisp your Poories will be. 

Go ahead - indulge once in a while!