Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Creamy Broccoli, Carrot and Green Tomato Soup



That is how I feel about my soup fad. When I am feeling hungry, and lazy - and the weather’s too cold to drag myself out from under that fuzzy throw, or when I need a meal-for-one in a hurry, thats when I think of soup. Personally, I also prefer those thin watery soups rather than the chunky stews for these cold-weather cravings. That way I can curl up with a hot mug in my hands and sip on my soup like I do a cup of chai- not bothering about even lifting a spoon !!


I do a partial fast one day a week, giving up all grains and allowing just the fresh vegetables and fruits. Mostly, on that day I eat fruits for lunch and a smoothie or juice for dinner. This past week, however, was annoyingly cold. Plus I could hear my stomach rumbling right from the moment I woke up. All I wanted for lunch was something hot and filling. Which is how the soup craving started. The kids were away, and I had to think of just myself. Which meant I could experiment with stuff that they wouldn’t touch by a mile. 


Just before the cold weather hit us, I had harvested off the last crop of my as yet unripe green tomatoes. I decided to make use of a few of those. The rest of it was pretty much made up as I went. The “recipe” as such is non-existent, but I can tell you that the soup was comforting no end. 

Creamy Broccoli, Carrot & Roasted Green Tomato Soup.



I was cooking for one, So here is what I took

2 medium-sized florets of Broccoli
8 Baby carrots
4 small green tomatoes
1tsp olive oil
1 sprig of fresh oregano.

Water 1 cup
Milk 1/3 cup

Salt and Pepper to taste to season

A bit of lemon zest and a tsp of greek yogurt for garnish

What I did:

  1. Wash and dry the tomatoes.
  2. Chop the oregano in olive oil, add a pinch of salt, then use it as a rub for my tomatoes. After rubbing with olive oil, I cut off the tomatoes in 4 and placed them in an oven-proof dish. If any oregano-oil is left over, just sprinkle it over the tomatoes.
  3. Roast the tomatoes in a 400 degree oven for 30 min.
  4. While the tomatoes are roasting, blanch the carrots and broccoli until tender in 1 cup water. 
  5. When done, blend the broccoli, carrots and tomatoes together. If you want, you can separate the oregano out- I didn’t.
  6. Season with salt and pepper to taste, bring to a boil.
  7. Allow to cool slightly, then add 1/3 cup milk (or half-n-half).
  8. Mix in the lemon zest in yogurt. Serve soup with a dollop on top. 

My two cents: I did not strain this soup - which made it not as watery as the soups my kids eat. But it was still good enough to sip out of a mug. With this much ingredients, I got enough soup for two of my meals - one big serving for lunch and another half-serving as a starter for dinner.

My husband asked- Why orange colored soup, if I used green tomatoes and broccoli?

I think it’s the carrots and milk. I honestly didn’t use any other coloring/spice!
Linked to: Dish it out Soups and Salads event by Vardhini.