Thursday, April 3, 2014

Vrat-Ka-Dosa: A Navratri Special

Here's another one for Navratri fasting.

Except that this time, I chose not to fast the whole nine days...I am just doing the two days; as religiously mandatory. 

But this gives me a chance to share with you an awesome experiment from 6 months ago.  A gluten-free Dosa! I was pretty excited when this turned out as well as it did. Great for satisfying those cravings when you're in a starving mode :-)

The two ingredients used here in this recipe are not grains, unlike the rice and lentils used in a traditional Dosa (Indian-style crepe). In place of rice, we use what is called sama-ke-chawal in Hindi. The name is a misnomer, since the tiny rice-like grain is actually  a seed of wild grass Panicum that is considered a pseudo grain. It's a naturally fat free, low calorie seed that resembles broken rice (see below for nutrient information).


The other ingredient of a Dosa is lentils; usually urad daal. It has a higher content of long-fiber starch, which makes it a very good binding agent. The first thing that came to my mind as a replacement was sabudana; or sago; a tapioca starch that is permitted during fasting. 

For the rest; I followed a regular Dosa recipe....and this is how I did it.

Vrat-Ka-Dosa



  1. Soak 1 measure sama-ke-chawal and 1/2 measure sabudana separately for 4-6 hrs. (I soaked mine for almost 8hrs.)
  2. Grind them together to get a fine liquid paste of pouring consistency.
  3. Heat a tawa, grease it liberally with vegetable oil, and then pour a ladle full of the batter in the middle. Using the back of a large spoon, spread the batter to the outside as thin as you possibly can. (This is how I make my dosa. If you have a better way of doing it, then just follow yours :-) )
  4. Sprinkle some more oil along the edges, wait about 3-4 min. 
  5. When the edges dry out a little, carefully flip the dosa over.  It tends to stick, so be careful.
  6. Give another couple of minutes on this side, then serve immediately.
My two cents: I had mine with masala aloo

                       And I loved it. Was a good deviation from everything else I know how to make for fasting days. My one complaint; the left-over batter didn't keep well...it somehow lost it's binding, so I couldn't spread the dosas thin. I could still make pancakes out of it though...made little "utaapams"!

For more of my bantering on Navratri fasting, look here and here and here. There are several other recipes such as this and this and several more scattered a log this site that I'd deem "suitable". Till then, Shubh Navratri!


Nutrients in Sama Ke Chawal:

  

Calories163Sodium0 mg
Total Fat1 gPotassium0 mg
Saturated0 gTotal Carbs33 g
Polyunsaturated0 gDietary Fiber5 g
Monounsaturated0 gSugars0 g
Trans0 gProtein3 g
Cholesterol0 mg
Vitamin A0%Calcium0%
Vitamin C0%Iron0%
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.