Monday, March 31, 2014

Dinner for one- Waffle iron Quesadilla and guacamole

This has been another week of by-myself-dinners. This past Friday, we had an event at baby P.'s school. Came back pretty late, the kids tired and ready for bed; and me hungry, but with no motivation to cook just for myself.  

Scoured the fridge, and found some leftover boiled white peas (vatana), home-made 2-minute guacamole (that A should have finished before he left....), some Feta and hummus... and one tortilla.  That out, and my fridge was bare bones...So that is where my dinner came from. Mediterranean Quesadilla.






To make,

  • I squeezed some lemon juice into about a tablespoon of tahini and mixed in my boiled white peas.
  • Spread some hummus on the tortilla.
  • Layer on the tahini-lemon peas...
  • A sprinkle of cut onions and tomatoes (I had them raw; but an sure the grilled ones would taste better).
  • A fairly generous sprinkle of Feta.
  • Bring the four corners of tortilla together as a bundle.
  • Grill it....you see, I used my waffle iron for grilling. But you do it straight on stovetop or in an actual quesadilla maker.
Guacamole:
One ripe avocado
Store bought salsa
Lemon juice
Salt and black pepper to taste
A bit of cilantro, chopped

  • Scoop out the avocado with a spoon, and mash.
  • Mix in the rest of the ingredients.
  • Refrigerate for at least an hour (preferably longer).
My two cents: I loved my meal. Had guacamole on the side, just for Mexican effect :-) But you needn't. A quick, filling dinner idea for those busy weeknights. My picky eater Anya liked it too.