Saturday, April 20, 2013

Sujjige - Sooji-Ka-Halwa (but Not)...

Sooji-ka-Halwa had got to be the most common dessert that I knew of, growing up. My mom made it the drop of the hat, for any occasion (or not), celebration or an unexpected guest that stayed on for dinner.  And the only way I knew of making it is as I have told you about here. But it was always served as an end of the meal sweet-taste. Then I got married, and my MIL made a version of cream of wheat porridge, using Sooji , for breakfast. It always reminded me of baby food, which is why I made a lot of that for Baby P when she was a toddler.  I could never really eat it myself though.

One time,  my sister-in-law, who has developed quite a taste for our version of Sooji-ka-Halwa, mentioned that in Goa, they make a similar dish but using milk and egg mixture for moisture rather than water. That sounded interesting, but fairly out of reach because of the egg. I often wondered if I could just use milk instead of water for my version of Halwa.....as usual, never tried. Recently, I came across a recipe for Sujjige, a Kannada recipe that reminded me of my SIL's Goan dish, but without the eggs. It also reminded me of my MIL's semolina-milk breakfast, minus the baby-food consistency! So yesterday, for the day of Ashtami, instead of my regular Sooji-ka-halwa, I tried out the Sujjige recipe...followed the recipe to a T this time...[except for the cashews and raisins....baby P doesn't like any texture in her sticky sweet :-(  ]. Follow the link, and see the beautiful recipe and pictures at Radhika's site... In essence, the difference is using a mix of water and milk instead of water alone for cooking the Sooji.

Sujjige


My two cents: My picture doesn't do any justice...just look at the pics and drool on original blog instead!! And yes, you can absolutely tell the difference between a water-based halwa like mine, or Sujjige, made with milk. One deviation from the original recipe definitely is the Sooji- I used the coarser kind. That's the one I usually buy. A finer one will give you that creamy consistency that Radhika talks about.
   All in all, my Navratris this year turned out to be special- with two new twists to fasting with the peanut based sauce for the veggies, and Sujjige here...

Linked to:

  1. Bookmarked Recipes Event hosted by Pallavi and started by Swati
  2. Dish Name starts with S at Learning to Cook
  3. Festival Recipes for Gudi Padwa/Ugadi at Madhu's