Monday, March 25, 2013

Daily Dinner (16): Comfort Food

The common complaint now-a-days is that I love Baby P more than her older sister. And all because (a) I never "yell" at Baby P and (b) I always give her what she wants to eat. What is lost in all this adolescent tantrum-throwing frenzy is that (a) all my yelling is mainly to make "someone" finish her meals and not sit with them in front of her, perplexed as to the purpose of the plate in front of her....and (b) all baby P wants is dahi, dal and roti - which is pretty much what I cook for an everyday dinner. I don't see where the complaints are coming from, just as much as the complainant doesn't see the reasons I have put forth in front of you today....

Anyways, in order to appease the 10-going on- 16 in my life, we've set aside Fridays to be the non-Indian food days. Doesn't work though- I still get accused a couple times during the week of favoring the younger one. This past week, hoping to set some things straight, we had Soup and Pasta dinner at least 3 times. Anya was happy, I sustained myself on soup all 3 nights, and Baby P got leftovers from the freezer.


This week, the complaints have resumed again.....even though it is just Monday!!

Cream of Potato Soup and Pasta
A Comfort meal... 



I've been eyeing a potato soup recipe for weeks now. I really love the  cream of anything soups...and potato being my favorite, I wanted to have some. The recipe seemed straight forward enough, yet I procrastinated for a while. Finally, on a cold, rainy night, too tired to cook anything, and yet craving something warm and comforting- I went ahead and tried it out.  Since I was just cooking for myself, the measurements are about 2 serving-size, and low fat.

Cream Of Potato Soup


1 medium potato- I used all purpose
1/2 an onion chopped fine
1/2 cup low fat milk
1/2 cup water
1/2tsp flour
1/2 Tbsp Butter
Salt and crushed black pepper to taste

  1. Peel and wash the potato, then cut it into small chunks. Take it in a microwave safe bowl with a bit of water, and microwave till tender. My microwave has a potato setting- I used that, plus an extra 30sec. Crush the potato with the back of a spoon.
  2. Melt butter in a saucepan, and saute the onions till translucent. 
  3. Add the flour to the pan, and toast it a bit. Then add the rest of the milk and water and cook for about 5 min. till the sauce thickens.
  4. Mix in the crushed potatoes, add salt and pepper and adjust the seasoning as well as consistency to taste. 

My two cents: Forget me, Anya declared that it was "pretty good" and polished of her 1/2 a bowl. It is a good, wholesome soup, quick and easy to make. At the end of it, was too bland for me. So I added a dash of hot sauce to my bowl :-) I've also used low fat milk, whereas the recipe used a mix of half-and-half with whole milk. The other change is that I just mashed the potato, while the recipe recommended using an immersion blender to blend it all.  Definitely an alternative to the tomato-based soups I always make for my family. Worth a try.
Linked to:  Easy to Prepare on Aathidyam.
Womens Day Special at Seduce your tastebuds.
Let's Cook for kids on Simply.Food
Healthy Food for Healthy Kids event on Nivedhanam
Bon Vivant- Kids's delight @ Sumee's Culinary Bites