Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Pop goes the cake....


It's never too early to start thinking Christmas. Heck, Christmas started the minute our Thanksgiving dinners got cleared away.  Since last week, I only hear Holiday music on my radio and I've watched at least 5 feel-good Christmas movies on Hallmark.  So I wasn't really surprised when the pre-meeting talk at work today turned towards Holidays, calories and Cake Pops; instead I was immediately reminded of these that I'd made at Christmas last year.  Came back, fished out the picture; and here they are.  Not the prettiest looking pops, I concede. But this was absolutely my first time working with chocolate (if we forget my Buckeyes, that is). So cut me some slack. And here's how I made these cake pops......

Basic Cake Pops


  • Cake Any flavor- made-from- the- scratch or boxed.  
  • 1 tub cream cheese frosting.
  • Dark semi-sweet chocolate chips- 1bag/9oz and 1/6th stick paraffin.
  1. Make the cake your usual way and allow to cool completely. Overnight preferably. Here, I used 1 box of Betty Crocker  Strawberry cake made as per the instructions on box.
  2. Crumble up the cake. Get dirty, use your hands. 
  3. Mix in about half a tub of frosting. More if you like it sweeter. Just remember you're mixing in sweet in sweet. 
  4. Refrigerate the "dough" for about 2hrs.
  5. Make small balls out of the cake "dough". You can use a small ice cream scoop or a melon baller. Keep them cold/refrigerated.
  6. Now finally, melt the chocolate chips and paraffin over a double boiler until coating consistency. This is where if you had pop-sticks you'd put your cake pops on then. But I didn't have those, so I used my fingers to roll each ball into the chocolate and lay them on a wax paper covered cookie sheet to cool. You can keep them in the fridge to set if needed.
My two cents: I meant to decorate the cake pops after chocolate coating...never got to it.  Yu can definitely do whatever you want with them at this point. This is like a dessert finger food - for those plate-free occasions. I got a lot of balls of cake out of one box of cake mix. I sent one half to Anya's school for their Holiday party; and the rest I took to a friends'.  Good news- the kids loved it. The flip side- it's messy, takes a while to get done.....and is a serious sugar overload.  At the end, it was too sweet for my taste. This year, I'm thinking of playing around with flavors and binders to get the sweetness done a bit. But am definitely making it again for the Holidays. Go ahead...try them out this season.

Linked to:
Quick & Easy Recipes by Sreevalli
Merry Christmas Celebrations
Christmas Event @ Cook Like a Bong
60 Days to Christmas at Priya's