Sunday, October 21, 2012

Daily Dinner (14): Vegan Thali; Navratri special


The last day of Navratri fasting is today. Glad to have made it through one more time. These days are pretty easy as far as traditional fasting goes. You only give up grains and legumes for the 9 days; so there's a lot left outside of the diet to eat.  

I followed a one-meal a day diet, restricting my spices to sendha namak (rock salt), green chillies and cumin (can't think of cooking without jeera at all :-)). Also allowed myself 2 cups of chai or coffee a day- one for breakfast, and one to get over the 3o'clock sugar crash at work :-) And finally, I also permitted myself one or two fruits at around noon- some days were more hectic at work than others and even the colleagues could hear my stomach rumble ....

So here's how my dinners went for the past week:
Day 1: Kuttu ke pakoray and kele ki sabzi. (Buckwheat flour-potato fritters and ripe banana sweet and savory chutney/side)
Day2: Sabudaana khichdi with plain yogurt
Day3: Aloo-Paneer and sama ke chawal
Day5: Kuttu ki Poori with aloo masala and kheera tamatar ka raita
Day6: Leftover soup, sama ke chawal and raita from days 3, 4& 5

Which brings us to today- the final day.......and I indulged myself with....
Day7: Sabudana vada and pan-roasted shakargandhi


Actually, today the whole family had this food as tea-time snack, while I made it my dinner. Along with a cup of chai, without which, the whole meal is totally vegan.

We all love pan-roasted shakargandhi (sweet potato) with a hint of salt and lemon juice. To make
Shakargandhi...

  1. Peel 2 medium-sized sweet potatoes and cut them into 1/2 inch cubes.
  2. With a hint of oil in a covered non-stick pan, toss and cook the sweet potato for about 20 min. or till tender on low heat. 
  3. Uncover and toss on high for a few more minutes till browned.
  4. Toss in salt and lemon juice just before serving.


Sabudana Vada
(Tapioca pearl and potato cutlets)

Sabudana (Tapioca pearls): 1 fistful...soaked in about 3/4 cups of water for at least 6h
Potatoes 2 medium- boiled
Sendha namak/ Salt to taste
Green chillies 2, chopped fine
Oil to deep fry

  1. Grate the potatoes with a fine grater or potato ricer after boiling.
  2. Drain out the sabudana completely through a strainer.
  3. Mix them together, add the green chillies and salt, and then using slightly moist palms, shape them into ping pong ball sized cutlets.
  4. Deep fry on high till golden on the outside.

My two cents: I've found that grating partially cooked potatoes instead of crumbling them make the cutlets light and airy. The same goes for slightly moistening the hands while shaping them. You can pretty much add any spice to these two preparations - I only did salt and chillies because of the fasting. All in all, awesome tea time treats....

Linked to Navratri 2012Celebrating Diwali/Navratri event,  What's with my cuppa at UK Rasoi and Taste of the Tropics- authentic Indian meal