Saturday, August 18, 2012

Hasselback Potatoes.

I love potatoes. They're the base of my entire food pyramid. If there were no potatoes, there'd be no food on my table. I can't think of a life outside of potatoes. And just for that reason, I can not be a conforming "Jain" - ever :-))

My dad told me that my first word as a toddler was Wa...Wa - except he pronounced it as Wah Wah - which would loosely translate as "Very good"- and that I was pointing to a potato when I said it :-)). He also made it a point to add on that I got this from his side of the family; particularly him. For a very long time growing up, I'd only eat "aloo". Oftentimes, all my mother had to do to make me try some new dish, was to add a potato to it. And greasier the dish, the better I liked it. My favorites- aloo ki tikki, aloo-cutlets, aloo ki Poori, potato chips...and anything else aloo.  Over the years, I've added more favorites to my potato  obsession- Potato salad and  fries for example. And now, the latest- Hasselback potato

Hasselback Potato- internet picture

I first came across a picture similar to this one when browsing through some food blogs. I forget where. And the name stayed with me. I'd convinced myself that I didn't want it. Except that I kept Googling it every Friday - not really wanting to make it over the weekend- but just because....

Some time ago, A went away on one of his business trips. And we went through our ritual of finishing the leftovers, Mac-n-cheese, breakfast for dinner etc etc.  But this happened to be one of those rare trips where he was not coming home till Saturday afternoon.  Which meant that when I got home on Friday evening, feeling sorry for myself for being alone the whole week, nothing sounded as comforting as the  Hasselback Potato pictures that'd sneaked into my thoughts again. 

Driving back home, I'd conjured up enough reasons to try it out that night....
  1. I had fresh oregano, chives and mint peeking out on the deck- and all of those would go fabulously with potato.
  2. I had a little bit of shredded 4 cheese that absolutely needed to be used up. AND
  3. The girls HAD to learn how to eat unfamiliar looking dishes right then :-))
And so my Cheesy Herbed Hasselback Potato was born.....


Hasselback Potato


I only made one potato...and I was so impatient to eat that my picture came out awful. Promise I'd take a better picture next time and update this post soon. Meanwhile, you just look at the internet picture, and here's how I made it....

Idaho/Baking Potato 1 medium sized
Butter 1/2 stick (4 Tbsp)
Salt 1/2tsp
Black pepper a little pinch
Mixed herbs about 2Tbsp (I had mint, oregano and chives)
Shredded cheese to sprinkle (optional)


  1. Wash and scrub the potato very well. Then dry it with paper towels.
  2. Using a sharp knife, cut thin slices in the potato- taking care NOT to go all the way through. At the end, you slices would still be attached to each other at the bottom.
  3. Place your potato in an oven-proof dish.
  4. Melt the butter - I did this in the microwave. Then add in the salt and pepper as well as finely chopped herbs.
  5. Drizzle this herbed butter on your potato, and using a spoon, drizzle between each and every slice of the potato. Make sure that every slice gets a generous spat of butter and  herbs. 
  6. Preheat your oven to 400F.
  7. The bake time for a thin cut potato is about 40 min. Make sure the potato is fork tender before turning off the oven.
  8. Then I sprinkled my cheese, and let it sit in the hot oven till my potatoes got all gooey with melted cheese.

My two cents: Wa...Wa .....Wah.....Wah. Got it?? :-))


Linked to :
Sumee's  Bon Vivant # 7 Baked Goodies
BakeFest @ Foodmania started byVardhini
I love Baking # 7 @ Tickling Palates
Desi Videsi Food Fest
"Only" Crazy for Potato" started by Pari