Tuesday, July 10, 2012

A "Berry" Good Crisp.....

One of the traits I seem to have inherited from dad is this deep-rooted need to have my family experience everything food that I've liked.....anywhere.  And if I knew how easy it would be to make this Blueberry Crisp for A to taste, I'd probably have done it 2yrs. ago and rested easier.

I first ate a Blueberry Crisp  almost a decade ago while I was at a official dinner, at a colleague's insistence. I was pregnant big time with my first daughter, and must have eaten more of this than he anticipated because I remember this look on his face when I finally put my fork down!!
"Your baby must have a really big sweet tooth", he'd said then....much to my embarrassment.
Despite that comment, I'd had this little niggle in my head saying that I should have A taste this lovely dessert; for he's the one with a sweet tooth.



Then I forgot about it.

My old recipe....
A couple years ago, I had my second taste of Blueberry Crisp, again at a work-related lunch. This time, I ate it with fresh-made vanilla ice cream instead of whipped cream....and I loved it even more than the first time. Once again, there was no way I could give A a taste of something that I was loving so much.  One colleague even gave me a recipe to try out....but my uncertainty with baking held me back.  This weekend, I finally gathered up my courage. I'd wasted away the whole weekend doing absolutely nothing, and was sitting there being a couch potato while the rest of the family went swimming. Which is when I decided to make myself useful while the others were gone...and fished out the old dog-eared recipe printout.

And the verdict is: A liked it!! So did his mom.....



Blueberry Crisp


blueberry, crisp, summer, fruit

What I did:
For the filling:
Blueberries   1 generous cup
Granulated Sugar     1Tbsp
AP flour 1Tbsp
Corn starch 1/2Tbsp
Salt  a tiny pinch
Lemon juice 1/2 Tbsp

For the crisp topping:
AP Flour 1/2 Cup
Butter 3 Tbsp
Sugar  2Tbsp
Salt  a pinch
Coarsely crushed walnuts 1/3 cup


  1. Heat oven to 350F
  2. Mix all the ingredients on the filling together, and set aside for 15-20 min.
  3. Melt the butter, and mix it into the other ingredients for topping. Rub between the fingers till it resembles coarse bread crumbs
  4. Now mix in the crushed walnuts.
  5. Spray the baking dish (I used two individual springform pans). Make a thin layer of topping at the bottom, fill in the berries, then layer the rest of the topping on top.
  6. Bake for about 45-50 min, till the top looks golden and the fruit is bubbly.


My two cents: I've followed the recipe to a 'T',  other than down-sizing it.  Which was probably a mistake, judging by the fact that I didn't get a taste of it :-)) 
    I also used walnuts instead of pecans, just because that's what I had in hand.  
    I also baked 2 individual sized portions in springform pans, since the printout I had said that clean up is a mess. 
   And finally, I used a little bit of the topping to make a base for the blueberry filling- just because the recipe I had said that the topping is way more than actually needed. Which turned out to be true. And I liked the effect of blueberries sandwiched between the two layers.
  All in all, a rip roaring success.....

Linked to:
Bake Fest @ The Pumpkin Farm started by Vardhini
Radhika's I love baking # 6
Taste of the tropics- Sugarcane
Whats with my cuppa  at UK Rasoi