Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Holiday Fudge- for Black & White Wednesday.

Our next door neighbors are the sweetest, most adorable, couple ever. Ever since we moved into this house five years ago, they've been our family away from home for us. Little thoughtful things that they do for us - like moving the trashcan out of the driveway, watching out for Anya if we're running late coming back from work, even helping us fix our old house as needed has pretty much made them absolutely indispensable to us. Seeing them potter around their home (and ours),  it is hard to believe that they're on the other side of their 80's. 

Mrs. L brought me her first box of fudge on Christmas eve 2006. I didn't think much of it then, except that it looked so pretty. She'd arranged the evenly cut pieces into an alternating pattern of dark and white chocolate fudge; and wrapped up the white box with a cute red and green ribbon.  Then I tasted it....and it tasted even better than it looked. I've been hounding Mrs. L for her recipe ever since. But she refuses to share. Apparently, one of her sons owns a restaurant; and this fudge is a highlight of his menu. He made Mrs. L promise not to give the recipe to anyone else.  But she makes up for it by giving me a box, sometimes two, for Christmas every year.


My box of fudge this year was quite unexpected. Both Mr. L and Mrs. L were dealing down by health issues since fall this past year. Then right before Christmas, they were in a car accident which left Mrs. L hospitalized for some time.  So, this Christmas eve, instead of them coming to us; we went to them to wish them well.  To my surprise, she had my white box of fudge - unwrapped, and without the customary ribbon - but with all the drool-worthy goodness as every other year.  

I had this fudge sitting in my freezer ever since...trying to work on a resolution to shed some flab. This week, I could finally not stand the torture anymore. I have the chocolate all thawed out, sweet and creamy and delicious.  The box is halfway empty already. But this picture is to share with you the pleasure that I can experience for maybe another week before it runs out!

Mrs. L's Christmas Fudge
Thank You Mrs. L fort sharing your specialty with me.  You're special, and precious, and I hope you can make this fudge for many more Christmases to come.

Sharing this with Susan's Black & White Wednesday