Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Eggless vanilla Sponge Cake- for bookmarked recipes

Baking is not something that comes to me naturally- I am tempted to try on everything that I read about, but am too much of a chicken to do. What does appeal to me a lot are the eggless recipes.  
A and the kids eat eggs, and I am pretty impartial to using eggs in baking. But if I can lay my hands on any eggless recipes, I am absolutely eager to try them out. My main incentive being that my MIL comes to visit, and eggs get banned out of the kitchen, I can still sustain the kids hankering for a home-baked cake. I recently came across this recipe for an eggless  sponge cake that I had to try. I made this on Sunday to take to for the kids after-class-snack in Hindi school. As fate would have it, we missed Sunday Class (they changed venue quite suddenly), and I was left with a cake, but no kids!! My girls, a friend (one of the hindi class kids' mom)  and I polished off half the cake and I brought back the remaining to A.  He wolfed it down in less time than it took to mix the batter :-))


I more or less followed the recipe down to a T, with a few minor substitutions or additions. Here is what I did- but do link back and check out the original post. The pictures there are definitely prettier than mine!
Eggless Vanilla Sponge Cake


AP Flour 1.5 cups
Unsalted Butter 1/2 Cup
Dahi/ Yogurt 1Cup
Sugar 3/4 (regular granulated sugar)
Baking powder 1.5tsp
Baking soda 1/2tsp
Vanilla essence 1tsp
Candied fruit and peel 2 Tbsp (optional)

  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
  2. Melt butter in a microwave. Add the vanilla essence to it.
  3. Stir in the sugar in the dahi, and mix till it is dissolved completely (about 5-7 min.) To this, add the baking powder and baking soda, and keep aside for 10 min or so.
  4. Now mix in the butter-essence mixture in the dahi.
  5. Fold in the flour now, in short amounts till totally incorporated. Mix in the candied fruit, if using.
  6. Pour the batter in a baking pan lined with well-oiled aluminum foil. Bake for 30-40min. (mine took 35 min.) till a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
My two cents: The batter looked perfect- a slightly thicker consistency than the cake batters I normally get with eggs, but all the flour did get incorporated. And the cake got all nice and golden in 35 min. My biggest problem was that the cake sunk in the middle after baking. But I get that quite often, so it is possibly something I do, rather than the recipe itself. Haven't figured that one out yet....My cake also felt a little more dense in the middle than on the sides, probably got that way because of the sinking. My deviations from the original are quite minor and are as follows:
1) Used regular sugar instead of castor sugar.
2) Used 1/2tsp more of baking powder - mine is old and I figured I'd need more.
3) Added the candied fruit and peel.

One thing I noted was that the baking powder tended to clump initially in dahi. But if you leave it aside for 10 min. it sort of bubbles and breaks and can be mixed evenly. Just letting you know, because I really worried about those clumps initially.

Other than that,  a great tasting cake- judging by my friend's and A's total enjoyment of it!

Linked to:
Bookmarked Recipes at Priya's blog.
Bake Fest @ The Pumpkin Farm