Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Blackeyed Pea Soup for a rainy day

The days are definitely shorter now; not entirely due to turning back the clock to end daylight savings time either. There's a nip to the morning air,  trees are more bare than beautiful and this past week, my drive to work has been accented with lots of rain and fog. We're definitely getting to the days where a hearty bowl of hot soup can cheer up even the hungriest of the back from work/school crowd.  I am not really a huge 'soup' person. Mostly, I feel that the 'daals' I make every night should pass off as 'soups'......if you know what I mean.  So my occassional real-soup-making is limited to weekends when the family rambles in with a "we're hungry again"....like maybe 10 minutes after eating lunch! The girls like only tomato soup and will pick out everything that they can; till I get sneaky and add in an occassional carrot and puree it in there. A doesn't care. Sometimes I feel like he eats just like he does everything else...with a wandering mind. Which is why when his eyes actually focus on what's in front of him is my cue that he liked his food.  With this bowl of black eyed pea soup, I got A's focus everytime, plus a clean plate from Anya AND a request for "white ball daal" for two consequetive days from baby P!

Black-eyed Bean and vegetable Soup


 Black-eyed peas   1 cup (soaked for at least 6hrs)
Frozen mixed vegetables  1 cup (I had peas, green beans and carrots)
Vegetable stock buillon 1 (I used Maggi brand from Indian store)
Tomato 1 large, cut into chunks
Onion  1 medium chopped
Salt  3/4 Tbsp or to taste
Red pepper powder 1tsp or to taste
Italian seasoning   a dash
Tomato ketchup   2 Tbsp
Dried apricots 3-4 chopped (optional)
Water  3 cups
Olive oil  1/2 Tbsp

  1. Pressure cook the black eyed peas with vegetables, water,  salt and stock buillon till 2 pressure whistles. Alternatively, these can be cooked in a heavy bottomed saucepan but you may need more water.
  2. Saute the onion in olive oil till transparent, then add the tomato, pepper powder and Italian seasoning. Cook on low till the tomatoes are tender, but still chunky.
  3. Mix this to the cooked black eyed peas, stir in the chopped apricots and cook on low for a few more minutes, or till thick enough.
  4. Stir in the tomato ketchup tight before you turn off the heat.
My two cents:  I love the fact that this is probably the lowest fat recipe that I have. We all have our own favorite side to go with this. Baby P will eat this soup with a roti, Anya with a breadstick. A seriously doesn't care; although he may be slightly partial to a dinner roll or a breadstick. I myself love the warmth of this chunky soup by itself. No complaints at all.....

Linked to:
MLLA 41 hosted by Simona and started by Susan
Winter carnival @ Tickling palates
Global Food festival @ Sizzling Tastebuds
Kalyani's event Only Vegan