Thursday, September 29, 2011

Daily Dinner (10):Another Fasting Thali; and 3 recipes in one!

It's that time of the year again. 

Six months ago, on this very space, I'd ranted about how fasting during Navratris makes me fixated about food. Now, you're going to hear some more of the same :-)). And before you judge me, I don't fast out of coercion. I do believe in all that Navratris stand for. Plus I also feel like, in terms of science, these twice-yearly fasts are a good cleansing for your system. Religion and science put together are a very forceful impact on my mind. 

But then again; this entire universe conspires against me when I'm fasting. How else would you explain that the morning of my first day of fast; my eyes get drawn to a box of gol -gappas that A had bought ages ago? And why did these gol-gappas chose this morning to make my mouth drool? As if this wasn't all that bad, a colleague at work brought in munchkins at 9am; another one brought in some absolutely yum looking chocolate chip cookie bars at 11am and the noon seminar had an array of delicious sandwiches. At the seminar, they never have enough vegetarian options to choose from; but yesterday.....someone was trying real hard to tempt me - is all I can say! That's my rant of the day....

I survived this onslaught, barely - but survive I did. On the way back home, I decided to treat myself to a platter-full of fasting food. So I cooked up a good-looking  Sabudana Khichdi, yummilicious cucumber and tomato raita, and Masala Aloo. Now this, is my rave of the day....take a look!

Sabudana Khichdi
with Masala Aloo


Sabudana/ Tapioca pearls 1/2 cup
Peanuts shelled, unsalted  3Tbsp
Tomato 1 small, diced
Tomato puree 1 tsp
Green chillies 2 small, chopped
Ginger 1inch piece, chopped
Sendha namak/ rock salt to taste
Jeera/ Cumin seeds a small pinch
Ghee/ Clarified butter 1/2 Tbsp

  1. The sabudana takes some soaking to be ready. I soaked mine in about 1/2 cup water, plus sprinkled some more on top of the pearls for 8h. By the time I got back from work, they were nicely swollen up.
  2. Roast the peanuts and crush them to a fine powder. (I roasted mine in the microwave: 1 min, toss and 30 sec on power level 10)
  3. In a small pan, heat the ghee, splutter jeera seeds, the add the green chillies, ginger, diced tomato and tomato puree. Stir a few minutes till tomato softens.
  4. Toss in the peanuts and salt; followed by sabudana. Stir till heated through.
Masala Aloo

Potatoes- boiled and peeled 2 medium
Green chillies 3 small, chopped
Ginger 1inch piece, chopped
Sendha namak/ rock salt to taste
Amchoor/ dry mango powder 1tsp
Jeera/ Cumin seeds a small pinch
Ghee/ Clarified butter 1 Tbsp
Cilantro to garnish

  1. In a non stick pan, splutter jeera in ghee, then add green chillies and ginger and stir for a minute.
  2. Add the potatoes, salt and amchoor and toss to coat.
  3. Once heated through, turn down the heat, and let the potatoes turn brown and crisp. Stir occasionally for uniform browning.
Cucumber and tomato raita

Home made dahi/ Plain Yogurt 1 cup
Sendha namak/ rock salt to taste
Roasted Jeera powder/ Cumin seeds powder 1tsp
Pickling cucumber 1/2 diced really small
Tomato 1/2 diced small
Fresh Mint leaves removed from 1 sprig and torn
Cilantro to garnish
A little milk to thin out the yogurt.

  1. Whisk dahi, milk and salt together to get a flowy matha-like consistency.
  2. Add cucumber, tomato and mint. 
  3. Garnish with cilantro and jeera powder before serving.
My two cents: This is a very filling  and delicious thali.  The raita and potatoes made about 5 servings each, white the khichdi was enough for 2 servings. My dad was actually very fond of these Masala Aloo. He never fasted, but was always ready for a serving of this simple side. As for the raita, I like mine to be liquid-y..you can adjust it to be as you like it. One thing I've learnt about sabudana is that it needs plenty of time to rehydrate. Make sure you you soak them at least 4-6h before prep time. That's all I can think of.
Happy Fasting to you all.....

Linking this along with my previous two posts of buckwheat pancakes and singoda flour pakoras to Foods for fasting-vrat ka khaana special