Friday, July 8, 2011

A cup cake is.....a cake in a cup

The summer of 2007, we were a work place full of pregnant ladies. 3 to be exact; all due within 4 months of each other. Looking back, I think only two of other female colleagues had escaped the pregnancy bug that summer; only because they were not committed yet! Plus we had many other friends that got pregnant that year. We had loads of fun comparing notes on aches and pains, doctors' visits and all matters icky related to pregnancy. We'd spend more time onliine looking at baby sites and ultrasound pictures than working! Those were fun times.... and it was that summer that I came across this recipe...rather the recipe came across my way.

"Gather up - all you hormonally overloaded", said M one morning (she was obviously one of the non-pregnant ones amongst us). Apparently, M's Sister-in-Law, who was also pregnant had stumbled upon an easy recipe for chocolate cake, and had been eating it all the time. "Now all of you baby club ladies can keep a stash of ingredients here, and satisfy your cravings at work", M laughed as she passed out the recipe cards.

Unfortunately for me, my pregnancy cravings that time were restricted to french fries and pototo salad, so the recipe card got lost. I thought about it recently one evening when I really wanted something chocolat-y to eat, but all I found was one tiny Hershey's kisses. I hunted down M's recipe and made myself this adorable 'cup cake'- in all of 5 min!!

Microwave Cake-in-a-cup

AP flour 4Tbsp
Unsweetened baking cocoa 2Tbsp
Sugar 4Tbsp
Instant coffee powder 1Tbsp (Optional)
Baking powder 1/4 tsp
Egg 1 *
Milk 3Tbsp
Oil 3Tbsp
Vanilla essence small splash (Optional)

  1. In a large coffee mug, mix the dry ingredients together.
  2. In another bowl, bring together the egg, milk and oil. * I substituted egg with 2Tbsp milk, 1Tbsp oil and 1/4 tsp baking powder.
  3. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and mix together. Add the splash of vanilla.
  4. Set the mug in a microwave and cook at 1000W for 2 1/2 to 3 min.
  5. Let rest for 2 minutes and enjoy!
My two cents: This was an effortless, easy bake, good enough for both A and I. It did rise well and actually some of it ran down the side of my mug- I suggest using a bigger mug if you have one. I cooked for 3 min in my 1200W microwave, because I didn't know how to work out the 1000W setting. As a result, the cake did end up being a bit more crumbly than I like it to be. I guess 2 1/2 min would work better. Instant coffee was my addition to the original recipe- I love a coffee-flavored chocolate cake.

As always, I did not have eggs on hand, so I had to substitute. But I've come to the conclusion that eggless cakes, although not as moist as the ones with eggs, are still very good. I think I'll keep working on substitutions till I find one that adds the moistness as well.

All in all, an instantaneous, very satisfying after-dinner treat for two. I'd definitely encourage you all to try it out...and let me know your verdict.