Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Daily Dinner (7): An Indi-Mexi Thali and a Quiz

Today's post is a lost-and-found affair. I took this picture and uploaded it, but it got lost amidst the cluttered desktop. Then I found the pic again, wrote a writeup, and thought I'd saved and posted it. Recently, while cleaning  up my laptop, I came across the picture again. Before deleting, thought I'd check back to confirm that I COULD  delete it...and realized that this post was nowhere on my blog. Keeping my fingers crossed,  hoping that  today I'll finally push the "PUBLISH"  button after this write up is done and not lose it for the third time.

A couple weeks ago, A was away on one of his overnight trips. And I was craving Mexican. There is no way that I'd take two kids out to a restaurant all by myself. As a result, this thali was concocted out of whatever was available to me at that moment. These tostada shells are also low-fat, as they are baked rather than fried as normally seen with restaurant-style. Sending this to A.W.E.D. June event started by DK of Chef In You.

Daily Dinner (7) : Indi-Mexi Thali for One
Mini Tostada Bites


 For the shells
Whole wheat flour (atta) 1 cup
Oil 1Tbsp + more to coat
Salt one generous pinch + more to coat
Baking powder 1 pinch
Water as needed

  • Mix everything together and knead a soft dough (like roti dough) with water. Set it aside for 10-15 min. Then knead it again till soft and shiny.
  • Divide into 6 portions, and roll out each of them into a circle, about 4-5 inches. Spray a muffin pan with cooking spray and drape the circles inside the cups. Spray again with cooking spray (or brush with oil), sprinkle some salt and pepper and pierce the bottom with a fork.
  • Bake in oven preheated to 400F, for about 20 min or till the tostadas are nicely browned. Allow to cool.
For the filling
Chickpeas boiled
Leftover boiled white rice
Tomato
Onion
Green chilli
Cilantro
Mexican 4 cheese blend
  • Chop the veggies and cilantro. Toss everything together like a salad, mix in some salt and taco seasoning. Squeeze juice of half a lemon and fill in the cooled tostada cups. Sprinkle some 4-cheese blend. Top with a tiny dollop of sour cream and serve.
 My 2 cents: Surprisingly, these mini tostada bites were  extremely filling, not to mention, cute and easily assembled. 6 of these made a good enough meal for the girls and me. These should also work as an appetizer if made in mini muffin pan (although the regular size isn't exactly huge either). The filling I had lent a distinctly Indian touch to these tostadas - they tasted so much like they were filled with chana chaat (especially since I sprinkled mine with some extra chaat masala)! But I can definitely see them blend in with all kinds of salsas and fillings.  All in all, a very successful meal for one.
 

Now for the quiz; can you guess what this plant in the picture is? Your hints: I put the seeds in 3 weeks ago- so it grows pretty quick. And another hint is hidden in this post itself. Figure it out, let me know, and I'll post a recipe featuring this ingredient very soon. Till then, Keep guessin' (and posting)!