Wednesday, September 15, 2010

A Find; and A Dish.

Last month, when a new Wegmans opened in our area, I just had to go there. For those of you who don't know of this food store, it is one of those in league with Whole foods and Trader Joe's. May even be slightly higher end than those. And I'd heard so much about this store from a friend....So I went there...hubby and girls in tow. And we looked and looked and looked. I just couldn't recognize anything in there. Not only the brand names they carry are different from the ones in a regular grocery store, but they had hundreds of things that I didn't know what they were.

" Are you going to buy anything or not?" asked my husband seeing that my shopping cart was gloriously empty after about a half hour, except for a water melon and a jar of almond butter.

"I am trying to find stuff", I said.

"Where's your list?", he asked knowing that I wouldn't be caught in a store without one.

And that got me...he knew then that I had dragged the whole family here on a week night to check out the store; not to buy anything that we needed. So to save face, I grabbed a couple more things and announced that I was done. As we walked across the produce section again, he grabbed a mango. "What do you need a mango for?" I asked. "They're not in season anymore".

"I want one", he sulked.

But these are...whoa...was that price right? As I came to a grinding halt at the price tag, another sign caught my eye. "Whats a Pineapple Mango?", I asked. "Who knows....and I don't care" "Then get a regular mango... you'll get three for the price of one." "I'm getting this one".... And so we ended up with a Pineapple Mango in our fridge. It sat there for a couple of days, till it finally dawned on us that if we didn't eat it soon, we might see it end up in the trash can- fancy name and all... We hadn't bargained for it to be a tad on the raw side though. Both of us like our mangoes to be slightly over ripe and dripping juicy; which this one was not. And, it was a huge mango. So after a couple of pieces, we were still left with about a third of the fruit that we didn't want to eat. Rather than see a perfectly good piece of fruit be wasted, I concocted this recipe for a chutney. And I'm pleased to have to tell you that it passed the taste test with flying colors!!
Aam aur tamatar ki chutney
(Mango-tomato chutney)
 
Peeled and cubed mango 1/2 cup
Tomato skinned and cubed 1 cup
Sugar 3tbsp (or to taste)
Salt to taste
Water 1 cup
Brown mustard seeds 1/2 tsp
Cumin seed 1/2 tsp
Saunf / fennel seeds 1/2 tsp  
Methi daana/ fenugreek seeds 1/2 tsp
Cooking oil 1/2 tsp
  1. In a sauce pan, cook the mango and tomato in water on high heat for about 15 min, till the mango is slightly tender. Allow to cool.
  2. Blend this mixture to a puree.
  3. Meanwhile, heat the cooking oil to smoking hot and add all the seeds to it for tempering. When the seeds begin to cackle, pour in your mango/tomato puree to this.
  4. Add the sugar and salt to this, and cook on low heat till the mixture thickens. I got mine almost to the tomato ketchup consistency. Adjust seasoning, cool and store.
My two cents: We loved it, both with rice and roti. Pineapple mango looked like a mango, but tasted almost like a pineapple. It had that acidity and tartness to it...that is why I needed so much sugar in this. Once cooked, it tasted almost like aam ki launji; with just a faint hint of pineapple to it. Have to try this recipe with a regular mango, but I bet it'd still taste good. And like I said, we like this chutney...and I liked Wegmans!!
Posted by Picasa